ProWriting Aid Editor

Writing Improvement Software

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Book Review The Guardian of Secrets: And Her Deathly Pact

GINGER'S SPICE
Flavored Reviews 
by Ginger Gelsheimer

The Guardian of Secrets: And Her Deathly Pact
by Jana Petken



Click here to purchase The Guardian of Secrets: And Her Deathly Pact!









5 Stars!!!

Incredible Epic Tale Full of Rich History!


Brief synopsis: First I have to say, please do not let the 700+ pages scare you. It never once felt like I was trudging through to get to the end. Every page kept me turning and the story is so beautifully and elegantly written. It drew me in from the start and surprisingly continued to get better and better as I went along with a wonderful surprise at the end.

The story begins with the storytelling of Maria Martinez-Bons, daughter to Celia Merrill. She is strong, even on her deathbed and wants to make sure someone special in the family knows the truth of the family history-but not everyone.

Spanning nearly a century between 1912-2010, the epic tale takes you through four generations of history, war, love and heartache. Not to mention probably the most evil villain I've ever read. If I could get my hands around Joseph Dobbs's throat, I strangle him myself! Can't give any spoilers, but he will make your blood boil for sure!

Characters: Sometimes the best characters are the ones that we hate the most. Ms. Petken did an amazing job of making the reader feel like they might actually be able to commit murder because I know I wanted to kill that ba@$ard! With four generations to cover, she did an amazing job developing each and every one of them. I cared about all of them as they spread out in their various lives, dealing with the Spanish Civil War, each in their own way. She didn't leave any strings untied or make me feel like any of them were abandoned for the others. I cared about all of them and sat on the edge of my seat as I turned the pages, wondering if they were going to live or die. NO SPOILERS!

Originality: I have to give this 5 stars on originality! I never learned anything about the Spanish Civil War in school and the fiction that she intertwined with it was so engaging. I can't believe all of this was going on as Hitler was getting ready to cause the most devastating event in history (in my opinion). The twists wound like a rope through the entire novel. No one was safe...

Recommendations: This has to go with coffee for a couple of reasons. 1) you will need it to stay away so you can keep reading 2) because Maria and Carlos meet at the coffee shop and it's their only getaway from the devastating war around them 3) food was scarce! I highly recommend to anyone who like to be completely absorbed into another world and then wake up and thank their lucky stars that this isn't their own life!

-Ginger

p.s if you enjoyed this post, please click g+1 below here or reshare so that others may enjoy it, too!


No comments:

Post a Comment