ProWriting Aid Editor

Writing Improvement Software

Friday, August 8, 2014

Book Review Tent City Series

GINGER'S SPICE
Flavored Reviews from the Indie Universe
by Ginger Gelsheimer

Tent City Series
by Kelly Van Hull





It is NOT over until the fat lady sings!

5 stars!


Brief synopsis: Life is not easy for Dani and her family after "The Council" takes over this dystopian world. No one is safe, especially children, and Dani is forced to take her little brother and best friend Kit away from home to a secret place. Along the way, they meet Jack, the good looking healer. He's got her attention, but she has other things to do. Jack is just the beginning of a cast of characters that are all drawn together for some mysterious purpose. NO SPOILERS!

There are two books in the series. Tent City and the sequel Red River.

In Tent City, we learn about the new life Dani, Brody and Kit must live away from home. Lucky for them, they stumble upon a group of young people who are willing to share their "tent city" home. Here they meet Bentley. Dani already can't stop thinking about Jack, but now there's Bentley? Even in the middle of chaos, this adventure finds it's love triangle. I  have to admit, I was on Team Jack for book 1.

Red River takes off right where Tent City left off. And holy camoli, this thing gets going and never stops. It twists and turns and leaves you guessing and don't even think for one minute, you have figured Dani or this story out! Easily read in one sitting, especially once you fear death is certain for some of your favorite characters! Chapter 10 - Kelly Van Hull, you know what I'm talking about!

Originality: The author did a magnificent job creating an original adventure story that made me a nervous wreck for most of the book! The descriptions were beautifully written, even if the scene itself might have been rancid! Some of the things these poor kids had to deal with! The visuals pulled me into the story, and I felt like I was there with Dani as she navigated through the insane new world she found herself living in. 

Characters: I thought the character development was excellent! By the end of the second book, I was as confused as Dani as to who I wanted her to end up with. I missed Jack at first because I was so drawn to him in book 1! Don't be a hater, Bentley fans...wait! But, as I got to know Bentley more in book 2, I really loved him too. He does bring Dani to life when he's near. And then there came Milo... Hannah is so good and you just want everything to turn out good for her. But what about Jack?  See what I mean! Loved them all! - even the mysterious wolf, Waite!

Recommendation: This goes well with fireside cooking! A great fire and fantastic story to tell. I highly recommend this series for you YA lovers whether it's dystopian, romance or adventure! This one has it all!

-Ginger

p.s. If you enjoyed this post, please click the g+1 button below here or reshare so that others may enjoy it, too!



No comments:

Post a Comment