ProWriting Aid Editor

Writing Improvement Software

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Book Review Eno the Thracian Series

GINGER'S SPICE
Flavored Reviews from the Indie Universe
by Ginger Gelsheimer

Eno the Thracian series
by C.B. Pratt




Click here to purchase Hero for Hire
Click here to purchase The Stone Gods
Click here to purchase The Dark Mountain


One of my favorite all-time series!


5 stars!


Brief synopsis: Eno the Thracian is a “Hero for Hire” and as such, he travels far and wide to handle the problems the humans face that are associated with the temperamental gods-regardless of their origin. He’s witty as hell, charming-a real ladies' man and that I can attest to by my school-girl crush on him and he always delivers when called upon.


I have loved the Greek gods since I was a kid and watched the original Clash of the Titans, oh Harry Hamlin and that hair. I’ve probably seen the movie a hundred times. I own the Odyssey but have never tackled it, but will before I die for sure. I’m also a fan of Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief, but this series has been the most fun. Eno could have been a hero in the Trojan War but decided there were more important issues at hand like dealing with Hekate, Queen of the Underworld, helping out the High Priest of Amun in Egypt and repairing the damage he did to Pan when he killed his three ugly daughters.


The series consists of three novels so far: Hero for Hire, The Stone Gods and the most recent, The Dark Mountain. They have all led me on a total adventure. There are five books planned for the series and I can’t wait for the next one when Eno ventures to Babylon!


Originality: Ms. Pratt did a fantastic job putting an original spin on ancient tales. The series is told from a first person point-of-view from Eno himself. She allows you to step inside his mind and his feelings, especially in The Dark Mountain, when he sets off on a journey to solve his own mystery. She branches out to include some of the lesser-known gods rather than write another tale about Hercules, Zeus or Poseidon, but Eno's personality alone makes this an original gem.


Characters: I’ve already admitted to having a crush on Eno and even experienced those slightly jealous feelings when he finally takes an interest in one of the many ladies that try to entice him. His character is believable and engaging and it's a wonderful bonus that he adds humor along the way with his quick wit. The gods are well developed, creating the personas you might expect with an added flare of quirkiness - did I mention the crunchy orange things...


Beware that Eno will suck you in and you might be as frustrated and temperamental as those gods when you have to wait for Book 4!


Recommendation: This book goes well with a large, cold stein of ale and Cheetos! Just don’t finish the whole bag as you’re turning page after page. 

-Ginger

p.s. If you enjoyed this blog, please click the +1 button just below here.

4 comments:

  1. Fun review, Ginger! I will have to get those books now, thanks to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed they are! Well, I'll be reading Dark Mountain pretty soon, but I have no doubt it will be every bit as stellar as the other two :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even Eno can cry...that's all I'm sayin'!

    ReplyDelete